Cooking with kids is a great way to engage them in a sustainable activity while teaching valuable life skills. Here at Chip-in Farm we love cooking with eggs! Eaten in moderation, eggs are a good source of protein, unsaturated fats, and nutrients such as vitamins B6, B12 and D.
Eggs are very versatile and can be simple to prepare. In this post we share some easy and delicious egg recipes that adults can prepare with kids of various ages and abilities.
Easy Scrambled Eggs
5 minute prep time
4 Fresh eggs
1⁄4 tsp Butter, margarine or oil
Pinch of salt
2 Slices wholegrain toast
1. Crack eggs and pinch of salt into a bowl and whisk until well blended
2. Melt butter in non-stick pan
3. Pour mix into a hot pan
4. Stir continuously until eggs are cooked through
5. Serve hot with toast
Toad in the Hole
Adapted from Taste of Home
Photo credit Taste of Home
5 minute prep time
1 slice of bread
1 large egg
1 teaspoon butter, margarine or oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut a 3 inch hole in the middle of the bread and discard.
2. Melt the butter in a small skillet and place the bread in the skillet.
3. Crack egg and carefully place it in the bread hole.
4. Cook for about 2 minutes over medium heat, until the bread is lightly browned.
5. Turn and cook the other side until egg yolk is almost set. Season with salt and pepper.
Easy, Cheesy Frittata
Adapted from BBC Good Food
Photo credit BBC Good Food
5 – 15 minute prep time; 30 minute cook time
2 scallions, end trimmed
4 tablespoons frozen peas, thawed
1 zucchini cut in half with ends cut off
2 slices of ham
1 cup feta or other crumbly cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Chop scallions and add them to the bowl along with the peas.
3. Thinly slice zucchini and add to the bowl.
4. Cut ham into small pieces and add to the bowl.
5. Crumble feta with your hand and add it to the bowl.
6. Crack the eggs into a second bowl and whisk them until yolks are mixed into the white, then
pour eggs into the other bowl and stir.
7. Brush a small ovenproof pan, about 6 inches diameter, with oil and pour the egg mixture into
8. Put the dish into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the egg is set.
9. Serve with a salad and crusty bread.
We collect, inspect, grade and wash our eggs each day by hand, which lets us continually monitor egg quality, and the well-being of our flock. The eggs we sell in the Farm Store were laid the previous day by our own free-running, cage-free hens, so you are assured they are farm-fresh and delicious.